Saturday, 21 March 2009

Week 5: Podcasting

I started hearing about podcasts around five years ago, but have never embraced them. This is possibly because I've never really embraced mp3 players, resenting them for basically rendering the hundreds of CDs I collected during high school and college obsolete [this did not prevent me from being extremely angry when I temporarily lost my Nano in the snow].

But it's time to let these negative emotions go. Podcats are useful, life-enhancing, and best of all, FREE. Have found a few Korean language podcasts to listen to in the 10 days before my brother and I leave for Seoul. Overall, we're going to be woefully under-prepared for this trip, but at least I'll be able to say, "I do not understand" instead of having to rely on bewildered facial expressions.

It seems easy enough to add podcast feeds to Google Reader, so I think I'll stick with that for keeping track of them. Netvibes' flashy layout is highly tempting, but at this point a switchover would be too much of a hassle. Also, I do not like the word "vibes."

It would be awesome to do a YA podcasting program down the line where kids can learn how to create their own, for themselves for the HCPL teen website. Or have TAB kids create podcasts featuring TAB meeting news! So much potential. Man, do I wish we had a computer lab. :P

1 comment:

  1. K, we'll need a lot o' stuff downloaded in the lab, but I think it's do-able!

    I predict baby steps: we can record what kids write; we work with one kid to record at one of our desks; we get a lab-full of kids working on it.

    ReplyDelete